Saturday, July 28, 2012

the end of july; the continuation of a drought

Hi all.  Sorry about the lack of posts again.  You see, we've hardly had time for the dear internet with the extreme lack of water.  Basically, our day is: get up, get coffee, head out.  Move chickens, feed and water chickens, open coop.  Water pigs, check polyhouse.  Turn on water.  Begin weeding.  Weed all day.  Lunch.  Refill chicken waterers.  Continue weeding.  Continue watering.  Weed and water until dark.  Close chickens, check hogs.  Dinner.  Shower.  Bed.  Repeat.

See?  Busy, busy, busy.

I have been working on a new project here and there (when I have a moment).  What's the project, you say?  A database of everything we grow, complete with pictures, information and recipes.  I know!  It's taking a LOT of work--and I missed a lot of spring crops, so I'll have to get them in the fall.  Hopefully, I'll have time to get it up and running through the fall and into the winter--post-season.  Post-season, I have time for projects.  Usually.  Except for last year!

Like I said, we've been watering, watering, watering.  Our second planting of squash, cukes, tomatoes and peppers are sitting in the polyhouse, along with winter squash, because what's the point of planting them?  They aren't going to do anything without water.  We ought to have our fall crop started also, but again, no water.  Last year was a terrible season, but we didn't know it was coming.  This year is looking to close on a sour note.

Today, we made the executive decision to take a few weeks off from the farmer's market (in Alton, which has been doing grand).  We just don't have enough produce to justify the drive down anymore.  A big thanks to all our customers down there--we'll be back in the fall!

Meanwhile, back on the farm--

Squash, cucumbers and melons are fried.  The cucumber beetles have really taken a toll on everything.  Bacterial wilt is starting to spread in the squash, and what plants aren't eaten up by the beetles have been fried by the sun.  Our second planting is close to going in the ground, and hopefully they will resist bug pressure and be able to cope with the heat long enough to get established and produce well for us.  Fall crops should probably be sown this week (but I can't promise anything with this bazillion degree weather).

Alrighty, folks.  I have a house to clean and chickens to round up.  Ta-ta!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds familiar...

    I do have a few things in the ground now (green beans, radishes, lettuces, spinach...) and almost have the old green bean bed turned over and re-composted and ready to plant beets. Just harvested my butternuts, but only got about 13 of them. Am harvesting edamame right now, and still getting okra, tomatoes and peppers every day.

    For over a month my day was just like yours (on a smaller scale, of course). I was watering and trying to make sure the heat didn't kill my chooks. They all made it, and all the pullets are now laying adorable little eggs.

    My house is a mess--always is this time of year,. My kitchen looks like the agricultural holocaust, lol--trays of seeds drying, buckets of odds and ends produce, canning jars stacked to high heaven. But I wouldn't trade this life for the world.

    See you in the fall, unless I find myself meandering up your way! :)

    ReplyDelete